Friday, July 10, 2009

I don't need a personal trainer

I hear that all the time. "I don't need a personal trainer. I go to the gym." or "I run every day" or "I walk my dogs". What you have to ask yourself is 'Am I where I want to be?'. If the answer is no, then what you are doing now isn't working.
From the very earliest development of athleticism there have been trainers. The Greeks and Romans used them. Every serious athlete today has one. And the people who are in the best shape use them. Are there people in great shape who don't use a trainer? Yes. Are those people you? Probably not. There are also people who can seem to eat a horrific diet and not gain weight. Are those people you? Probably not. Is that fair? No. But you play the cards you're delt and you, like most of us, were probably delt a body that needs the right foods and the right exercise to stay in shape.
There are a lot of personal trainers out there giving training a bad reputation. If you see a trainer walking some poor sap from machine to machine, taking their client through the same old tired sets of seated bicep curls and leg extensions over and over, month after month, run the other way. That style of training not only doesn't work for most people, but its boring. A good trainer will not need three dozen pieces of equipment to work you out. Bodies are meant to function by moving in natural patterns, not stuck in or on a machine. There are much more exciting, natural ways to train your body and improve your cardiovascular function. You don't even need a gym!
I'll be posting bi-weekly training tips, nutritional information and exercises to this blog. If you are interested in a personalized workout regime that you can do at home or at your gym, contact me and tell me what your goals are! I'd love to help you out.

1 comment:

  1. Cool, I'll keep looking for tips.

    ~Steve

    ReplyDelete